https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Monday, August 10, 2009

Weeds

I was out mowing what we call "the pond field" this morning. The alley-way between our farm and our neighbor's back field is overflowing with Queen Anne's Lace this year. I keep thinking I need to mow it down - it's an invasive, non-native flower - but each time I go out there, I can't bring myself to do it. It happened again today.



I think the fence would be lonely without them.

And so would I.



They might be one of my favorite flowers because they look like snowflakes when they are young.



Or maybe it's the cheerful little center.



And I'm posting this one even though I'm a bit crabby with my bees right now. You really need to biggify this picture (and the one above too while you are at it). Is that not a happy little bee?

One of my hives (at least I'm pretty darn sure it was one of my hives) swarmed over the weekend. I found them not far away and tried to re-hive them in a new box. A new box apparently not to their liking. They all gathered in a relatively peaceful protest on the sheet "porch" outside. A few walked in. They walked back out. Everyone disappeared.

Kids.

12 comments:

Alice said...

Great macro shots! The Queen Annes Lace is beautifully done! Actually I like them all!

Dianne MacDonald said...

Join the "my bees left home" club. I am also very crabby with my bees right now, but they don't really seem to care much about my feelings! Great pictures.

Christine said...

Awesome shot of the bee! Queen Anne's Lace has always been my favorite "weed".

Ed said...

Great shots, if ya want to have some fun, pick some of the lace and put it in some colored water and the white lace will take the color of the water..:-)
p.s. I have a bee pic already picked out for tomorrow you might get a kick out of..:-)

lisa said...

It will come back, so, I would mow it!! The other shots are great!

DayPhoto said...

I love Queen Anne's Lace, and like you, I would have a hard time mowing it.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

flowerweaver said...

Lovely! Sorry your bees left. With the drought and all, I'm glad I did not start my hive this year.

Queen Anne's Lace is a powerful flower, I'd keep it around.

Jenny Holden said...

Beautiful pictures, but you know you're going to have to harden your heart before they seed and cut them down! Hope you get your bees back!

WildBlack said...

Lovely shot! Love the second one!
GreaT BEE SHOT too! Ohh! he is really into it! lol!

Dawn said...

I think the bee photo will be one I want to look at in the dead of winter. Should be a calendar page, really lovely.

gtyyup said...

The Queen Anne's Lace is beautiful. I would have a hard time mowing it too. What a fantastic bee shot! I loved seeing it close up...totally cool!

I kept scrolling through all you photos...you're really getting good. The fences in your area are stunning!

Hank's a beautiful boy too!

Dana and Daisy said...

ah! I wonder what they were protesting about?

Hey queen anne's lace makes a most beautiful lemony lime natural dye. Just be sure to strain the dye before dipping your wool or you will be picking seeds out of it forever!

I think we used alum as a mordant, can't recall for sure but do you have a dyer's handbook? maybe you could find out if you want to try it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin