https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Yarn Along

I had hoped to finish this throw by the end of November for the Wovember Wool Along, but...you know... I debated letting myself get stressed over it and push on with some sort of Herculean effort, but decided to take a step back and let it go.  It's more important to clerk a stock dog trial that you look forward to all year, go to dinner with friends, get some sleep...  A gentle reminder for the holiday season life as well. 


I love weaving - the yarns, the tools, the click clack...


THIS is the true color of the yarn - almost black.  The lights over the loom and clamped to the loom and shining through the window behind the loom...throw everything off.  I've tried a blue zillion white balance settings and nothing is good so...we'll just pretend all the chocolate brown is chocolate black.

The reason this yarn is laying on the floor, not being woven, is because I decided in the first few inches that I was not woman enough to reach the full 48".  I pulled off one inch on each side.   Another thing I like about weaving.  It's all fixable...at least so far (not to jinx anything ;-).


The loose tags of yarn are where I added in fresh yarn, letting the loom "weave in my ends" for me :-). 


I'm using a simple straight twill pattern because the chocolate BLACK of this particular sheep (a Jacob/Texel cross) has a sort of matte finish that I didn't want competing with a pattern.  The medium GRAY in the stripes is some of our Jacob.  I'll definitely take some natural light pictures when I finish, hopefully tomorrow!


If you look closely out the window, you can see the chickens are headed to bed.  That's my cue to swap off with 20 and start the evening chores.  Maybe tomorrow I can talk him into doing some spinning for me, too.   I think we are going to come up a few many yards short.


As I left, he told me I could turn off the book.  He thinks Carl Hiaasen is too silly and Sue Grafton makes him nervous.  We both liked the Fannie Flagg book from last week ;-).  I always listen to books on tape while I weave.  And not while I knit.  I'm not sure why.

Joining in with Ginny's Yarn Along.


http://www.gsheller.com/category/yarn-along



18 comments:

small farm girl said...

Love, love, LOVE your weaving!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!

Andee said...

Oh I love 20. Can he come over to my house sometime and spin and weave for me? I can't wait to see how your project turns out! It looks amazing. For color balances I always shoot in RAW and make the color adjustments in Photoshop. I've given up trying to get the white balance right in the camera.

karen said...

I love Fannie Flagg she is a funny person, and her characters are so sweet. I've never weaves but you make me want to :)

Susan said...

That is going to be beautiful. Weaving is on my bucket list - which is so long, I may have to live until well in my 100s! And Sue Grafton (the recorded books) is one of my ultimate favorites!!

Alice said...

Beautiful work on the loom! I like the varied width gray stripes. Cant wait to see it finished!

I need orange said...

Can't wait to see it! It looks wonderful!

Back when I used to do some spinning, I used to listen to books on tape as I spun........ :-)

Leanne Coppola said...

Hello 20!!!!!

Leanne Coppola said...

Hello 20!!!!!

Lori Skoog said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. I love listening to books too...what a good idea when you are weaving.

Sheepmom said...

This is going to be awesome when done. Actually, it's awesome now! And you somehow find time to weave in the time before Christmas when the rest of us are crazed and running around like a squirrel in the road..... (head shaking). Good on you!

Willow said...

Very cool to weave and sorta read at the same time ... nice multi tasking.

Tyche's Minder said...


Nice. Is this that beautiful dark yarn you were considering with the walnut? I'm trying to squint to see the black, but I can't do it. Will have to wait for the new pics. :)

Christine said...

This is excellent. I was planning to do something similar with all that grey wool I was spinning during the tour. I think I've settled in a herringbone pattern. I just need to get the 40 other projects I have going on finished first.

Michelle said...

I love the weaving. Lovely! And, what a nice, peaceful time to listen to a book.

Rachel Berry said...

What wonderful weaving and yarn! I love weaving too but I must admit that I have only done a couple of projects with my handspun. That's not because I am nervous of using it, I think it's just that I love knitting with it too much!

Susan said...

GREAT! Love it and the stripes on the one side, very Scottish/colonial, woven only on the side of the bed that showed. When weaving blankets 10 yards or so were woven the width of the loom, and after waulking, were cut and sewn together down the middle. Black/brown just had a ah
discussion with a friend re what I was spinning, it's Black sez I, NO, it's Brown sez she...who cares sez I? cuz it's BLACK! hahaha and hard taking pics of the stuff in progress, light and angles of shot. Took pics of brown chenille and it looked white!
I do something different when I add on yarn/linen/cotolin and I DO wish I could find some information that says the Right way to do it, haha esp singles linen. OK, 14 deg and snowing, off to walk doggers. We're all getting restless..........weave on!

Unknown said...

Would 20 weave and extra one and sell it to me?!:-) Gorgeous color and texture; love it!

Anonymous said...

that dark chocolate color is so gorgeous. Can't wait to see the throw!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin