https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, July 18, 2014

Kindness To Animals

Today's poem from The Writer's Almanac is one of my favorites.  It hit extra hard this morning though as we just got done 'tutering the boys this week.  There's no nice way to do it.  Period.  It hurts.  They're sad, I'm sad.  They do get better in a couple days and all seems to be forgiven, but still, it's a rough couple of days.

I try to take mostly boy lambs because they are the ones typically needing a home.  You can easily place ewe lambs in starter flocks, as replacement ewes...  Boys...there is only so much demand for breeding rams and only super trained professionals (like this guy :-) should ever keep a pet ram.

I tell the boys that getting 'tutered means they are extra special and that they'll get to stay here forever, and while for the next couple of days that's not going to seem like such a good trade, in the end they'll be happy. We make sure the weather is as comfortable as possible.  We give them pain medicine.  I sit out under the pine trees with them and Betsy's there, too.

Kindness to Animals

Little children, never give
Pain to things that feel and live:
Let the gentle robin come
For the crumbs you save at home,—
As his meat you throw along
He'll repay you with a song;
Never hurt the timid hare
Peeping from her green grass lair,
Let her come and sport and play
On the lawn at close of day;
The little lark goes soaring high.
To the bright windows of the sky,
Singing as if 'twere always spring,
And fluttering on an untired wing,—
Oh! let him sing his happy song,
Nor do these gentle creatures wrong.
"Kindness to Animals" by Anonymous.
The Writer's Almanac July 18, 2014
Some shots from yesterday evening.






I am not completely set on Spud as this boy's name. I still have to "think" to come up with it when I'm calling him. That doesn't seem right.  Auntie Reg has suggested Teddy and that seems to work, but one of our neighbors is named Teddy, so that's a little awkward as they like to bring their grand daughters down.  I think a two syllable name might be easier for my brain.  Any thoughts?





This portable gate is blocking Hank's cut through between the paddocks.  For some reason Baaxter never figured out sneaking through the "portal", but the other three loved to bust into Del Boca Vista. Our retirees (Jester and Queen Elizabeth) had ZERO interest in being visited by grand kids! ;-)




28 comments:

Jo said...

Oh how I love your posts. And the fact that you sit with your lambs when they've been tutored. I never realized that boy lambs didn't have much of a future. Something like boy chickens in a chicken farm - they're destroyed just after hatching. LOVE Betsy assisting you as well! Have a great weekend. Jo

Mt Devon Meanderings said...

How about Spudnick, sorta like Sputnik, or you could call him Spudknit.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Ooh, I HAVE called him Sputnik (I'm a space junky ;-). Totally didn't think of Spudknit! That is cute!!!

Michelle said...

Great; you posted this poem just when I've had to admit, however reluctantly, that the ground squirrels must be dealt with lethally. Our garden, our fruit trees, our ornamental shrubs, and possibly our foundation depends on it, but facing that was already making me sad....

Michaele said...

Spudknit. LOL sounds perfect!

Tyche's Minder said...

I've been thinking about wethers a lot too. I think fiber folk should just grab them up. They produce great big lovely fleeces too...

thecrazysheeplady said...

They grow the best fleeces because all they do is eat and grow wool. They're not pregnant or raising babies, just growing lots of wool and usually with no fiber breaks due to lambing stress...

AdrieneJ said...

What a beautiful poem to slow me down today... and what lovely boys. It makes me happy to know how much you care for them.

Susan said...

I love Spudknt! Perfecto!

Juliana said...

I like the name Mickie/Mickey for him for some reason.

RuusVerd said...

Wethers are something else. :-) My boys are bad students though, they don't seem to learn much from their 'tutoring'. Even funny little Barney just can't seem to play nice with the girls.

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I thought I posted a comment but I do not see it here...

How about Oddie for a name?! A variation on the word oatmeal as his fleece will soon fade to an oatmeal color, it seems:-).

Oddie is also a real name (of Scandinavian origin, I think.)

Tombstone Livestock said...

We had a border collie named Spud because she had half white face like Spud Mac Kenzie in the tv commercials, her daughter just had to be Tater.

Love looking at your green grass and clover blossoms.

thecrazysheeplady said...

We are unbelievably green for July. And unseasonably cool. I'm not complaining one bit!

I think Spud is going to gray out like Hershey rather than oatmeal like Chocula, Daniel and Petunia. It would be nice if he stayed black (his "real" color under the sunbleached tips.

Valerie said...

I love how you love your animals. You are such a kind lady. =) Blessings, Valerie

Christine said...

I vote for Spudknit.

Suz said...

oh why did Jo have to go and tell me about the boy chicks!
I like Spudknit
and I adore your big big heart
poor boys

Michelle said...

I think your boys have the best kind of life here on your farm.

Shine said...

I so wish there were more truly loving people like you to take the animals that need extra lovin. Thank you for doing such a great service to world kindness!
Blessings~~Shine

Lori Skoog said...

I'm on the "Spudknit" team. Loved your poem and can't say enough about your compassion for all creatures. You are a very special person!

Karen said...

I was going to suggest 'Tater'. Same meaning as Spud, starts with a 'T' but is not Teddy. I like Spudknit too!

Charlotte Scott said...

Another vote for Spudknit!

I need orange said...

It's so hard when we have to do something to them for their own good. We can't explain, they can't understand........

Difficult.

Sending a case of virtual cookies. Wilbur says cookies make everything better.......

Far Side of Fifty said...

Tutoring poor boys. Spudknit sounds great! :)

Susan said...

Yup, Spudknit! I too was unaware re boy lambies. Thank you again for all you do for them. I have fleece from an extraordinary ram, Merino, who finally drove his owner into the fence one too many times and so...off to the locker :(

Terry said...

Teddy Bear?

Viola Farm said...

Peanut ? Or Peanut Butter when in trouble : )

thecrazysheeplady said...

Peanut is everybody's nickname at some point around here :-).

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin