https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Of Course She Is

Here are a few more shots from Andy's integration day.  I was so sad to not find a good shot of Kate for the calendar this year.  Calendar pictures need to be the right direction (horizontal, not vertical), sharp, good color, interesting composition, high resolution...  I think we've got one for next year!


Kate goes everywhere with me, especially if there are sheep involved...which there almost always are ;-). Her motto is "I can help you with that!"  When I let the main flock into Graham and Andy's paddock the other day, I went in with them to make sure no one tried to modify the borrowed "space ship".  Kate followed me in, but I didn't notice that because I was busy taking pictures.

I don't have much true stock dog experience.  Iris and I figured out more things than I thought we did over the years, but I definitely need more training.  Letting Kate follow me into a paddock full of sheep, while accidentally setting up a nice photo, might be a big no-no.  Not paying attention to my dog in the first place is probably even a bigger no-no.  A dog not as good as Kate would probably teach me that lesson the hard way ;-).

However, to me (again, remember I am definitely no expert), if I turn around and see that my dog has followed me somewhere, but is laying down waiting patiently while I'm goofing off not paying attention, that's not just a pretty calendar shot.  I think that means she's a great dog and I am so honored for the opportunity to get to learn from her.  I am looking forward to stepping up my game this year!


We all sat out there in the paddock for a good while letting everyone get acquainted.  Being a cocky young punk, Andy got a fair sampling of who would send him flying if he got too friendly (Rebecca Boone) and who would make some good new friends for him (the boys).  When I was ready to clear them out of there, Kate was up in an instant.


"I can help you with that!"

We had to make an emergency run to Florida this weekend.  My mother is in the hospital down there and needed someone to come get their two dogs and cat who were traveling with them.  I left a note for our farm sitter explaining how to use Kate to set hay out for the sheep.  "Open the stall door. She knows what to do."  I got a text the next morning, "Kate's awesome!"  She really is :-).

*     *     *     *     *

Here's a new puzzle and a new puzzle tip.  If you click the puzzle piece at the bottom right of the frame it takes you to the same puzzle, but on the puzzle site.  There, if you click "play as", you can change the number of pieces to make it easier or harder, depending on your mood.  Have fun and stay warm!

16 comments:

Heather said...

She IS such a good girl! I'm so happy she's with you, has her jobs, and is loved! (here come the tears! oh my.....)

Mary Ann said...

I learned a lot about sheep dogs with this! They really are remarkable. I hope your mother is better soon.

Heather said...

and yes, I hope all goes well with your mom as well.

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear about your mother; I hope she will be okay!

Michelle said...

I do hope your Mom is well.

Alice said...

Kate to the rescue!!!
Prayers for your mom! How did you rescue her pets? Will they be your guests?

Mary said...

What a good, beautiful girl. And super intelligent. But then, Border Collies are. :)

I need orange said...

Kate. What a good dog! :-)

Hope your mom is ok! Did you bring her critters home with you?

sophy0075 said...

I hope your mom will be ok. Thanks for sharing about your wonderful Kate. Was that Liddy heading towards the camera?

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope your Mom will be okay. Kate is remarkable, you are lucky to have her. Border Collies are so smart! :)

Terry and Linda said...

Gosh, I hope your Mom is going to be okay! I miss having Fuzzy...but I'm glad you have Kate.

Linda

Susan said...

Oh, glad you were able to go and help out your mom. Hope she is better SOON. Terrible to be in hospital but on vaca.......ugh. Kate is indeed a trooper. Great shots.

YarnKettle said...

Kate is such a good girl! I hope your mom and her fur kids feel better. Sounds like the kids may be used to traveling but worrying about mom is such a stress.
Wishing everyone gets the care that they need.

Leslie said...

I know nothing about stock dogs either. What might Kate do in a pen full of sheep if she wasn't such a good dog? Sounds dire.

Lisa Smith said...

What a lovely tribute to Kate. I'm so sorry to hear your mom is in the hospital. I hope things are looking up for her; it is so stressful to be so far away and have a parent in the hospital. Wishing you all the best.

Shirley said...

Hope all is well now with your mom.
Kate is a good girl!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin